Friday 23 November 2007

Name a parent who hasn't been obsessed with sleep..


I still am and my first born is 5 1/2 years old. Having had a "tricky first baby" and then a very "easy second baby", I've recently had a bit of a flashback. My son had a sleepless night a couple of nights ago, due to a tickly cough and I felt absolutely shattered in the morning, remembering the days when that was my normal way of life.

Being Swedish by origin, I usually scan the Swedish News magazines with my morning coffee and today, I particularly agreed with Terri Herrerra Eriksson, a columnist at Aftonbladet about her thoughts on the sometimes sententious advice parents get from experts.

She questions whether some of them even have children on their own. One particular advice, that she is being skeptic of, is the "sleep whenever your baby is sleeping". But what if the baby isn't sleeping at all? Or just in 15min intervals..?

I would like to extend that panel of experts, pouring advice over newly parents, to include the nearest and dearest of our family. I for one, remember some of my mother's advice on getting my son to sleep even though someone (her) was clattering in the kitchen when I had finally been able to put my little son down for a nap. She had had a good 8h night of sleep and I had been up feeding at midnight, carrying him between 2am and 4am and then another feed at 8am, but she told me:

But you have to make him get accustomed to noise!

Yes, but that is brilliant, why didn't I think of that? When I finally get him to sleep, I will head straight towards the kitchen, grab a saucepan and start marching around the kitchen banging it really loudly.